What are the due dates to file certified priority documents and legalized assignments with the Russian Patent Office?
For Russian patent applications claiming priority under the Paris Convention, a certified copy of the priority application should be filed with the RUPTO:
- for inventions or utility models – within 16 months of the filing date of the priority application;
- for industrial designs – within 3 months of the filing date of the Russian application, provided that the information about the priority was submitted to the RUPTO within 2 months of the filing date.
If there are several priority applications, the term is calculated from the filing date of the first priority application. The term for filing the priority document may be extended provided that:
- the request for reinstatement of the convention priority right is filed with the Russian Patent Office before the expiry of said term;
- the applicant:
- has requested the priority document in the respective Patent Office before the expiry of 14 (for inventions or utility models) or 8 (for designs) months from the filing date of the original application; and
- has submitted the document to the RUPTO within 2 months of its receipt.
As to the assignment deed from the inventors to the applicant, this document is not required by the Russian Patent Office.